At least 51 people have been confirmed dead following heavy rains and flooding in KwaZulu-Natal, EWN has reported.
KwaZulu-Natal Cooperative Governance MEC Nomusa Dube-Ncube reportedly said that more bodies had been discovered under the rubble as rescue operations continued throughout Tuesday night.
Five more people remain unaccounted for, she said.
On Tuesday, News24 reported that people's homes had been swallowed by raging floods, while scores of others have been misplaced in Port St Johns in the Eastern Cape, forcing them to take refuge in community halls and churches.
Dube-Ncube urged residents and visitors to the province to remain on full alert and to move to higher ground if under threat. She said disaster relief efforts were in progress in all affected areas.
She said dozens of cases of collapsed walls and flooded homes had been reported, with 235 Durban homes already assessed as damaged.
"Roads have been flooded too, disrupting traffic as KZN enters the first working day after the Easter weekend. Motorists and pedestrians are urged to exercise utmost caution on the roads that are already flooded or where there is high risk of flash flooding," said Dube-Ncube.
read more at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/at-least-51-confirmed-dead-in-kzn-floods-reports-20190424